Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jerry Haynes' Post

Let me introduce myself.

I’m probably the newest member of the association.  My name is Jerry L. Haynes.  I received a Civil Engineering Degree from VA Tech in 1977.  My favorite activities are traveling, especially cruises, VA Tech sports, the Barter Theater, and writing.  I’m a late bloomer, only finishing my first novel in 2006 at the age of 55.  I’m really excited to be a part of this group because one of the greatest accomplishments I could ever aspire to  would be to recognized as “an Appalachian writer.”  My first two books (A Cotton Mill Town Christmas and The Cotton Mill) were stories of growing up in a cotton mill town.  My third book (The Saga of Caty Sage) has just been released and is a historical novel based upon the true event of a 5-year old girl who disappeared from her Elk Creek, Virginia farm in 1792.  It is shown and reviewed on Amazon at

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Caty-Sage-Jerry-Haynes/dp/1595714006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247579911&sr=1-1. 

My website is www.acottonmilltown.com and my email is jlhaynes@acottonmilltown.com

I look forward to meeting all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Mr.Haynes,
    I just finished reading "A Cotton Mill Town Christmas" on Christmas day 2011. It really took me back for several reasons.I hope you have time to read this.
    I was the shoe shine boy in Charlies Barber shop during this time of the late '60's. I made 25 cents a pair and Charlie paid me $5.00
    a week to sweep up hair and clean the bathroom. The little bit of wisdom I have now comes from the old timers hanging around the barber shop telling their stories.
    I knew Chiney Adlerman. My Grandfather had a coal hauling business in Hawkstown.
    My family lived in Wendytown but I spent most of the time at Granny Keith's just above the Y on Main St.
    Mike Clemmons visited Granny Keiths a lot as well. Monk was his nickname. Everyone in Fries had a nickname. This could be another book.
    I went to Vaughan School and Fries High School and was a close friend of Freddy Jennings. Mrs. Waddell was my favorite teacher. Mr. Fender was the principal.
    I worked in the cotton mill at age 15. Some of the mill bosses got me on because I had shined all of their shoes.
    Played ping-pong at the Y with Ed Goodson, set pins in the bowling alley for 10 cents a game, and played basketball in the gym in my socks until I had blisters on my feet.
    Claude Blair used to do the state inspections on Dad and my cars.
    I rode in Bruce's A Model in the 4th of July Parade in 1967 I think was the year. Bruce also chased us on Halloween.
    He always knew where we were running to and was usually there before we were, waiting on us to take us home.
    If this isn't enough irony, I now live in State Road and drive through Elkin daily to work. Both mention in the book.
    There were a lot more references in the book that brought back memories. You have no idea how this book captivated me.
    I enjoyed it tremendously.
    Thank You So Much, Mike G.

    ReplyDelete